Tuesday 14 August 2012

On Creativity

I've been thinking a lot about creativity recently-where inspiration hits, what makes someone creative, what is considered creative etc- so when I heard about Jonah Lehrer's book 'Imagine' I had to check it out.

If you've read 'Thinking Fast and Slow' then you'll love this book which, in my eyes, is an easier and more enjoyable read. I'm not normally one for non fiction but I couldn't put it down. Lehrer engages readers with anecdotes followed by clearly written arguments. More importantly he sucks you in with interesting subject matter. Creativity could come from defocusing your mind or living in a dense urban setting or the relaxing of regulations. 

Awkwardly, a couple of weeks ago Lehrer was been accused of making up some of his Dylan quotes in this book and I think the publisher has pulled it. HOWEVER, I think the basic premise of the book is still sound. Yes, okay maybe Dylan didn't say XYZ, that doesn't change the fact that the basic idea behind Dylan's creativity is correct. 

Following on- I found this interview with Jack White on where he get's his inspiration: hard work and a challenge. 

“Inspiration and work ethic – they ride right next to each other.” ~ Jack White

Found via. Brain Picker
(Check out the random body sleeping in the background!) 

If you have 27mins or have headphones, I'd also recommend Tim Brown on Serious Play. He claims creativity comes from loosing your inhibition and stop self-editing.   

Where do you get your creative inspiration from?
here

No comments:

Post a Comment